A recent Twitter thread has been debunking pictures that claim to show extreme hunger and violence in Venezuela. This thread, by ‘Morgan’, seems to expose propaganda on Venezuela being pushed by pro-coup voices both locally and internationally.
(WARNING: Some of the pictures below are graphic, and readers may find them disturbing.)
Let the debunking begin
Those babies that the Venezuelan opposition claims are thrown into boxes isn't even from Venezuela- this photo is from Honduras in 2013, shortly after the U.S. staged a coup in 2009.https://t.co/cAStmCBDqq pic.twitter.com/ZVGZ2dnz69
— Morgan (@discomfiting) February 25, 2019
2) Then, he looked at when ‘opposition’ violence became state violence:
Venezuelanalysis also confirmed that:
opposition activists were seen hurling Molotov cocktails, while standing only metres from the trucks. These reports were confirmed by on-the-spot journalists, including teleSUR reporter Madelein Garcia and others.
The Grayzone and others backed that up.
3) Victims of the opposition, meanwhile, somehow became victims of the government:
4) Spanish police violence also became Venezuelan state violence:
6) A group sex scene from an adult film, meanwhile, became a scene of Venezuelan police raping someone:
7) Morgan then highlighted how a child suffering extreme malnutrition in Argentina in 2002 (during a great depression that was worsened by international institutions like the IMF) became a Venezuelan child in 2017:
9) Then, Morgan looks at how Western-backed state repression in Egypt (during the era of US president Barack Obama) was turned into ‘socialist’ state repression in Venezuela in 2013:
‘Extreme scepticism is required’
As Morgan says, people watching the news on Venezuela today should:
Treat everything the U.S.-backed Venezuelan “opposition” and the capitalist media says about the situation in Venezuela and regarding President Maduro with extreme scepticism. They have proven themselves to be untrustworthy, fraudulent liars, and immoral crooks.
Propaganda on Venezuela
Of course, the Venezuelan government is not beyond critique. And none of us are immune from the effects of propaganda. But let’s be clear, the coup supporters have been filling our newspapers, TV, and social media with disinformation and outright lies to ‘manufacture consent‘ for yet another illegal regime-change operation.
That’s why it’s the responsibility of the independent media and critical thinkers around the world to expose and push back against the propaganda’s ultimate objective: another disastrous coup in Latin America.
Featured image via Morgan/Twitter
- In the US: write to your Congressperson and demand that they oppose the coup and end the crippling US sanctions that are exacerbating the humanitarian situation (be sure to be polite and concise in order to be effective).
- In the UK: write to your MP and ask them to oppose the coup, the sanctions, and return Venezuela’s gold to the Maduro government, to help alleviate the suffering of Venezuela’s people (be sure to be polite and concise in order to be effective).
We know everyone is suffering under the Tories - but the Canary is a vital weapon in our fight back, and we need your support
The Canary Workers’ Co-op knows life is hard. The Tories are waging a class war against us we’re all having to fight. But like trade unions and community organising, truly independent working-class media is a vital weapon in our armoury.
The Canary doesn’t have the budget of the corporate media. In fact, our income is over 1,000 times less than the Guardian’s. What we do have is a radical agenda that disrupts power and amplifies marginalised communities. But we can only do this with our readers’ support.
So please, help us continue to spread messages of resistance and hope. Even the smallest donation would mean the world to us.