A recent Twitter thread has been debunking pictures that claim to show extreme hunger and violence in Venezuela. This thread, by ‘Morgan’, seems to expose propaganda on Venezuela being pushed by pro-coup voices both locally and internationally.
(WARNING: Some of the pictures below are graphic, and readers may find them disturbing.)
Let the debunking begin
Those babies that the Venezuelan opposition claims are thrown into boxes isn't even from Venezuela- this photo is from Honduras in 2013, shortly after the U.S. staged a coup in 2009.https://t.co/cAStmCBDqq pic.twitter.com/ZVGZ2dnz69
— Morgan (@discomfiting) February 25, 2019
2) Then, he looked at when ‘opposition’ violence became state violence:
Venezuelanalysis also confirmed that:
opposition activists were seen hurling Molotov cocktails, while standing only metres from the trucks. These reports were confirmed by on-the-spot journalists, including teleSUR reporter Madelein Garcia and others.
The Grayzone and others backed that up.
3) Victims of the opposition, meanwhile, somehow became victims of the government:
4) Spanish police violence also became Venezuelan state violence:
6) A group sex scene from an adult film, meanwhile, became a scene of Venezuelan police raping someone:
7) Morgan then highlighted how a child suffering extreme malnutrition in Argentina in 2002 (during a great depression that was worsened by international institutions like the IMF) became a Venezuelan child in 2017:
9) Then, Morgan looks at how Western-backed state repression in Egypt (during the era of US president Barack Obama) was turned into ‘socialist’ state repression in Venezuela in 2013:
‘Extreme scepticism is required’
As Morgan says, people watching the news on Venezuela today should:
Treat everything the U.S.-backed Venezuelan “opposition” and the capitalist media says about the situation in Venezuela and regarding President Maduro with extreme scepticism. They have proven themselves to be untrustworthy, fraudulent liars, and immoral crooks.
Propaganda on Venezuela
Of course, the Venezuelan government is not beyond critique. And none of us are immune from the effects of propaganda. But let’s be clear, the coup supporters have been filling our newspapers, TV, and social media with disinformation and outright lies to ‘manufacture consent‘ for yet another illegal regime-change operation.
That’s why it’s the responsibility of the independent media and critical thinkers around the world to expose and push back against the propaganda’s ultimate objective: another disastrous coup in Latin America.
Featured image via Morgan/Twitter
- In the US: write to your Congressperson and demand that they oppose the coup and end the crippling US sanctions that are exacerbating the humanitarian situation (be sure to be polite and concise in order to be effective).
- In the UK: write to your MP and ask them to oppose the coup, the sanctions, and return Venezuela’s gold to the Maduro government, to help alleviate the suffering of Venezuela’s people (be sure to be polite and concise in order to be effective).
We need your help to keep speaking the truth
Every story that you have come to us with; each injustice you have asked us to investigate; every campaign we have fought; each of your unheard voices we amplified; we do this for you. We are making a difference on your behalf.
Our fight is your fight. You’ve supported our collective struggle every time you gave us a like; and every time you shared our work across social media. Now we need you to support us with a monthly donation.
We have published nearly 2,000 articles and over 50 films in 2021. And we want to do this and more in 2022 but we don’t have enough money to go on at this pace. So, if you value our work and want us to continue then please join us and be part of The Canary family.
In return, you get:
* Advert free reading experience
* Quarterly group video call with the Editor-in-Chief
* Behind the scenes monthly e-newsletter
* 20% discount in our shop
Almost all of our spending goes to the people who make The Canary’s content. So your contribution directly supports our writers and enables us to continue to do what we do: speaking truth, powered by you. We have weathered many attempts to shut us down and silence our vital opposition to an increasingly fascist government and right-wing mainstream media.
With your help we can continue:
* Holding political and state power to account
* Advocating for the people the system marginalises
* Being a media outlet that upholds the highest standards
* Campaigning on the issues others won’t
* Putting your lives central to everything we do
We are a drop of truth in an ocean of deceit. But we can’t do this without your support. So please, can you help us continue the fight?